SharePoint 2013 is a collaboration environment that organisations of all sizes can use to increase the efficiency of business processes. SharePoint 2013 sites provide secure environments that administrators can configure to provide personalized access to documents and other information. Search features enable users to find content efficiently regardless of the physical location of data. It is an integrated suite of server capabilities that can help improve organizational effectiveness by providing comprehensive content management and Enterprise Search, accelerating shared business processes, and facilitating information sharing across boundaries for better business insight.
Office SharePoint Server supports all intranet, extra-net, and Web applications across an enterprise within one integrated platform, instead of relying on separate fragmented systems.
Additionally, this collaboration and content management server provides IT professionals and developers with the platform and tools they need for server administration, application extensibility, and interoperability.
Microsoft Office SharePoint Server is built on and extends the functionality provided by Windows SharePoint Foundation 2013.
Windows SharePoint Foundation 2013 employs operating system and database services to support requirements ranging from a team site for a work-group, to large enterprise portal solutions serving hundreds of thousands of employees and staff, to a corporate Internet portal supporting millions of users.
Microsoft Office SharePoint Server builds on top of Windows SharePoint Foundation 2013 to provide a comprehensive solution with enterprise-scale capabilities to meet critical needs such as managing content and business processes, and simplifying how people find and share information across boundaries.
Windows SharePoint Foundation 2013 provides the following security-enhanced, scalable, and reliable, high-performance capabilities for site management:
· Storage Allowing content such as documents (Office documents, PDFs, custom binary files), Web pages, lists, and other types of information to reside in a common data repository (Microsoft SQL Server™) with full data management capabilities, version control, metadata, and site-level search.
· Security Providing the essential elements of comprehensive security management by employing a range of authentication providers (for example, Kerberos, NTLM, basic, the Active Directory® service, LDAP, ASP.NET forms and Web single sign-on authentication), policy management, group management, and permission levels ranging from individual items in list to entire sites.
· Management Enabling centralized and delegated administrative facilities for Windows SharePoint Services sites from operational and application perspectives, in addition to ongoing site monitoring.
· Deployment Providing an architecture that supports flexible, distributed, and scalable deployment architectures, across Web and database servers; enabling configuration and site feature management.
· Site Model Providing a template-based infrastructure for deployment of custom sites, providing automated navigation and a consistent user interface – while allowing for extensive and flexible customization of site formatting and layout.
· Extensibility Providing a comprehensive application programming interface (API) that allows custom applications to be built on the Windows SharePoint Services architecture, employing use of XML Web services and SOAP, providing event handlers for cross-integration with other applications, and providing methods for migrating content into Windows SharePoint Services sites.
From a business perspective, Windows SharePoint Foundation 2013 provides the following foundational collaboration features:
· Document collaboration
· Wikis and blogs
· RSS support
· Discussion boards
· Project task management
· Contacts, calendars, and tasks
· E-mail integration
· Integration with the Office system client applications
· Offline support for SharePoint lists and document libraries, by using Office Outlook®
These collaboration features are essential elements for building rich business productivity applications; Microsoft Office SharePoint Server employs and extends these features, while adding many more levels of capability in building rich business productivity solutions.